Mirena Side Effects Are Destroying Relationships

Article by: Clare London

I know many women have the Mirena Coil and are perfectly ok with it. But be warned, it’s not compatible with all women and the Mirena side effects can be devastating.

I had the coil fitted because I fell pregnant while on the pill and we had an unplanned pregnancy. It wasn’t a problem as we had planned to have another child but not quite yet. Anyway, we thought it would be a good idea to change to something more reliable and I had the Mirena Coil fitted.

After the horrible process of having the coil fitted everything seemed fine; it took about four months for my periods to stop but it wasn’t uncomfortable and didn’t give me any problems. All appeared to be great, no periods, no mood swings and (here’s the bombshell) no libido and no energy.

I started getting tired more easily, often falling asleep during the day, which isn’t funny when you have three children under six years old to watch over. I started needing early nights and very much to my husband’s disappointment, not the kind of early nights we used to have before Mirena. I needed so much more sleep.

My husband and I had always had a great sex life up until I had the coil fitted. We had been together eight years and our sex life was better than ever until I had the Mirena Coil fitted. Obviously like every other parent having children changed our sex life a little but not a great deal. Just where and when changed but we still enjoyed a very active sex life until Mirena.

I visited the Doctor and she told me she had never heard of any problems with libido and suggested a blood test to check hormone levels, iron and thyroid glands. These all came back negative so she suggested HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy). I was 34 years old. This of course was very depressing as my mother wasn’t on HRT and she was 54. I sat down with my husband and we discussed what to do.

My husband who was very supportive and understanding was convinced it was the Mirena Coil and I began to agree. So I had the offending item removed and went back on the pill. It took a few weeks for my body to get back to normal but it did and we are back to early nights for exercise rather than sleep.

In my opinion, it is ridiculous to suggest to a woman under forty that they should take HRT when blood tests show no problem and more than a little bit worrying. Do the medical companies have such a hold on our health services that we are given products that harm us so that we can be given more products to correct the side effects of the former?

How many couples have split over this? How many marriages have been put under huge strain due to the Mirena side effects that according to Medical Experts are in your head?
I haven’t listed all the Mirena side effects here because there are so many. You can find them on the internet easy enough. But if you are thinking of having or have had the Mirena Coil fitted please do some research and don’t let your Doctor tell you there aren’t any Mirena side effects, because the internet is littered with stories like mine. Let me know if you have had similar problems with Mirena side effects on my here; I would love to hear your story and it helps other people that have had similar issues.

For FREE relationship advice CLICK HERE!


Does the Mirena IUD eliminate the need for endometrial resection in women with menorrhagia? (Pro & Con).: An article from: Family Practice News

Contraceptive options give teens more choices. (Ring, Patch, Injectable, IUD).: An article from: Pediatric News

New Levonorgestrel IUD Can Be Used for 5 Years.: An article from: Family Practice News

8 comments:

Sleepless In Vancouver said...

I'm convinced Mirena is ruining my relationship as well. I'm just having a little trouble convincing my girlfriend of 8 years of that.

After 2 years of nagging her, she finally went to the doctor last month to ask about having it removed, and her doctor said she didn't want to because it's the best invention ever and she'd never heard of Mirena causing a depressed libido.

So now I'm back to square one. My girlfriend doesn't really mind -- SHE'S not missing anything! And there are all sorts of wonderful side-effects, I hear, like no period (not to mention not having to remember to take a pill!).

Boon said...

Hi, reading the above comment has made feel a little better. Being a man searching for answers like myself.

My wife, 38, had the "devil's" mirena fitted nearly 2 years ago. Everything was fine for a while we thought, apart from the pain on occasion and the heavy irregular periods. My wife nearly had it taken out because of this, looking back I wish I done more.

It was over the months later, with my wife working nightshift, that I began to notice and feel like our relationship was changing. I felt we were becoming more distant and I discussed this with my partner. We agreed to try and more couple time together, but this never really materialised. I was thinking that it had more to do with Working patterns and lack of sleep.

The major turning point was when I brought up the lack of affection and closeness, this is when things erupted. My wife said she didn't know if she loved me or wanted to be with me. I can honestly say my world fell apart right there and then. After speaking for a few hours, we agreed we would try to sort things out. I done some research, and kept coming across Mirena - Depression, mood swings, pains/cramps, loss of libido, etc. etc. Then it clicked, well in my head anyway, the Mirena. It took a few weeks to convince my wife that this is the probable cause.

It has now been just over 2 weeks since removal, and things have improved. Libido is still non-existant, But mood and general well-being has improved, that I am really happy about. My partner has been using natural remedies to help with trying to balance out the hormones.

Mr Vancouver, I don't know if you'll see this but you should try and be patient, as hard as it is, and show your partner what other women have been through. Doctors aren't always right, they are usually told to promote items. To me this object of cruelty puts the body into a state of menopause, and the effects that come with it. But a doctor won't say that.

I have, and still do at times feel rejected, unloved, angry, down, resentment everything you shouldn't feel in a loving relationship. But I now feel there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I love my wife too much to have accepted defeat at the hands of a piece of plastic. But I do accept that not all women have this result, but it's more than 5% that's for sure.

Mrs.London I'm sincerely glad to hear things worked out, it brings me some hope.

Thanks.

TL

Unknown said...

I had the Mirena for almost two years, and I just had it removed almost 3 weeks ago. Literally, within 2 days of removal I dropped 4 pounds. My husband was stunned but then started to believe me when I attributed the tiredness, moodiness, increased migraines -- all to Mirena. I had begun to read on the internet all of the symptoms other ladies were experiencing and suddenly had this realization that it was the mirena and no, I wasn't suffering from some sort of auto-immune disease! I ended up going to Planned Parenthood to get it removed because once I realized it was the Mirena, I wanted it out, and out NOW.
I had also read about a Mirena *crash* after removal, but I have to say it hasn't been too bad, or maybe it just hasn't happened yet. My energy is coming back, I have had one headache in three weeks (before I would have had 5), and the weight continues to come off.

To the guys who posted, keep the faith, and get your women to read this comment...Don't believe the doctors -- it really is the Mirena!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the postings, I suppose the one thing that really has shaken me is that the Doctors can't be trusted. They tell you that Mirena Coil won't be the cause of these problems you are experiencing... when it clearly is! How many couples have been told as I was by my Doctor that low labido can happen in a relationship and we just have to accept that. Well... don't accept it people! If you had a healthy sex drive before having the coil fitted, you should have one after once it settles down.

Since having Mirena removed I have lost a stone in weight, got my energy back and well... my ten year relationship is as sexy as ever. I am convinced that the Mirena Coil brings on symptoms of menopause as you said Boon!

Drive and sex drive are linked so of course you will put on weight if your labido drops. Lethergy is unproductive and destroys relationships. Anything that creates lethergy should be banned!

Sadly our Doctors are being guided by drug companies and the old ethics that Doctors had are diminishing.

Thanks again people, I hope you all get sorted and don't give up... this little piece of plastic is quite distructive.

Unknown said...

This is a message to 'Boon' from someone called Stephen that is experiencing the same problems as you. He sent this email to me.

"Can you please do me a big favour and post on the marina forum a note for the user Boon to contact me. I am living the same situation as he did that is posted on the marina IUD blog.If possible, please put my email address and a note to contact me, as I would like to ask him some questions. Thanks Stephen"

So... Boon if you are out there, contact me at clare@cashpointmonkey.com and I will give you Stephens email address.

Anonymous said...

boon, i share your affliction, after the same things and my wife too is 38, i mentioned the lac of intimacy and it was a death sentance to me, i love her more than words and have 3 great children together, after reading your story and much research would like to see the device implanted in its owners asss, just to see how they like it.

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience. The best relationship of my life ended and as much as I try (for my own peace of mind, so that I can move on) to convine myself that Mirena wasn't the cause, I just can't. Everything went downhill so fast right after she got her IUD. She totally changed and I couldn't handle it. I've seen a lot of other people posting the same story and going through the same exact things. This thing is just horrible.

Anonymous said...

I too have been witnessed a partner who fell ill to the effects of Mirena (levonorgestrel). After a long relationship we were going to get married and she wanted to "be closer" so she decided to get Mirena. What a terrible tragic mistake! If you research this topic you will find other incantations of this wonderful force (ie. Norplant). It has been 7 months she has it and it is emotionally and physically destroying her body. Her doctors refused to remove it and instead gave her medication to "even out the mood swings". It only got worse! During the first 3 months of Mirena she became anxious, paranoid and depressed. She now spends most of her time sleeping in bed and hating herself when not working. Of yes, and she suddenly doesn't get along with any of her co-workers. She broke up with me because she said she has become a different person. Im not one to beg for a woman to take me back, but I do love her very much and cannot bear the destructive behaviour that I see her doing to herself not too mention the physical damage it is doing to her body. Please woman, do your homework before and while using this device. Keep a journal of your emotions and activities so you can really see what is actually happening to you. This thing simulates pregnancy and for some has all the disastorious symptoms of menopause. It's really sad to watch someones life fall apart right before your eyes. Recently she had to be rushed to the emergency room where doctors confirmed it is wreaking havoc on her hormone levels and destroying her body. Excessive hairloss, heavy bleeding, nausea, fainting spells, stomach pains, "pregnant looking belly", general unexplained weight gain, headaches, enlarged ovaries, anxiety, depression, sleepiness, mood swings, suddenly hating yourself and your partner.... the list goes on and on! YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING!!! DEMAND YOUR DOCTOR DO THEIR JOB AND HELP YOU, IF NOT FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR WHO WILL!!! I've researched this throughly and if you are having all these symptoms then it is the precursor or worse to come. Tell your \ doctor to do the right thing.