Mirena Coil for 3rd time - this time not a good experience???

Hi all,

I have found another website that makes good reading if you are thinking of or are having trouble with the Mirena Coil! Below is  post left on there that sheds more light on the Mirena experience!

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/family_planning/1215688-Mirena-Coil-for-3rd-time-this-time-not-a-good-experience

Hi I have seen a lot of posts from people who have had mirena and like marmite either love it or hate it grin.

My 3rd mirena experience is nothing like my first 2 experiences, which were great.

I had 2 mirena coils after 1st DS and before 2nd DS (I had previously had a copper that gave me heavy periods and so when it was time to be changed had the mirena). My first two mirena's gave me virtually no periods, although I did have a couple of ovarian cysts which I didn't at the time realise could be related to the Mirena. After my DS2 was born I used cerazette for a while which I didn't get on with, used condoms which I found impractical and then when I decided to go for a coil again my GP recommended against Mirena as she said she if she was me she wouldn't be putting lots of hormones into her body when hoping for another baby at my age (I am now 39). So I briefly had a copper coil and despite my previous experiences I found the periods no trouble at all, just perhaps a little longer in length.

Anyway my DD was born in Dec 2010 and I opted again for Mirena, thinking it would be a lovely experience and hassle free. Since having it about 3 months ago I have been losing blood for about 75% of the time. This latest bout is now on day 16, with only about 7 days free before the end of the last episode.

I am wondering if anyone else has had mixed experiences, as I see it can take up to 6 months to settle so i'm not sure whether to try it for a few more months to see if it improves or whether this time around, for some reason it is going to be an unpleasant experience. If it is likely to just continue i'll probably opt for removal now, but if it could settle I'll probably wait it out confused.

If you have read until the end thanks, hope it hasn't bored you too much and any thoughts appreciated grin

No comments: